7 types of costumers

I've had my fair share of part-time jobs during the last five years. It all started with my eager eighteen-year-old self to grow up, little did I know being an "adult" actually kinda sucks (at times).

I've had numerous amount of jobs that have taught me to be highly patient, forgiving and respectful. From having a job as a cupcake decorator to being a waitress to the nightmares of working in retail, I have plenty of stories to tell. People need to understand that working in customer service is no joke, the things I've had to put up with like, grumpy attendees, picking up booger covered food from five-year-olds and dealing with crude uneducated customers is the highlight of every employee.


Recently I was hired as a temporary employee in a highly recognized clothing store and for the past few days I've been labeling every single customer that walks in because when you've worked in retail for quite a while you know what client will make your day and which one will test your patient to the fullest, with that said, I bring you the 5 clients will you HAVE to put up working in retail:

  1. El chismoso (The chatty one)
    I love chatty people, it makes me feel less like an employee and more like a friend, if I can get to know someone better I could definitely recommend something that I know will fit their needs, but some people just take it to the next level. You will know EVERYTHING about them, from whom they're dating to the color of underwear they're wearing. If you're not busy they make agreat company but if you have to tend more people it can be a handful, nevertheless they tell great stories.
  2. The quicky 
    They come in pick whatever and get out, they literally have their shit together and know exactly what they need.
  3. El indeciso (The indecisive)
    I consider myself a really patient person depending on the situation, throughout the years I've learned to control myself, but even the nicest person has a limit and these people will take you to the edge. You don't know if they are doing it on purpose or if their sole life depends on questioning every single movement. They will question everything from the fabric of the garment to the color to the price and will spend an immense amount in the store for nothing, because they will buy ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I've had people try on everything they could possibly find, make you look for every single size, make a mess all around the store and walk out empty handed. Patience people, patience is the key here.
  4. El inseguro (The insecure one)I know many people have had at least one encounter in their lives where they simply just cannot feel good about their appearance, nothing seems to fit and the longer you spend looking at yourself in the mirror, the worse the situation becomes. Having said that, looking for comfort from a sales person is not the way to go, most of the time we will just say whatever to get you to stop crying because I've had plenty of weapers. Does this look good? How about this one? Ugh, I hate it. This color isn't for me. I don't feel pretty. Do you have something else? Because there is not a single clothing item in the universe that can please them.
  5. El indiferente (The indifferent one)Have you ever met someone so shallow and mercenary that you wish you could give them a piece of your mind. Well, this type of customer will do everything in its power to make you feel inferior and lousy. They are rude, they yell and demand things that are not even physically possible, this are the kinds of costumers you dread, the ones you wish you'd never have to encounter. Basically, they're a walking nightmare. Kudos to you if you can keep your cool with these people. 
I am sure there are many other types of costumers I am missing, but those as by far the ones that have had the most impact in my journey as a sales person. I would like to think that I don't fit into any of the categories mentioned in the list above, but I sure do have a few characteristics of the indecisive and the insecure, so, what type of customer are you?

*Photo by pexels

Comments

Popular Posts